The Mission and Goals of the Endowment Fund
Leaving Your Legacy: Since 1960 Calvin Christian School has served parents and children of the North County community in providing a quality, Christ-centered education. With over 400 students in school and hundreds of graduates, Calvin Christian School continues to equip young people to assume leadership in their communities, churches, and homes.
The Endowment Fund was formed to provide financial stability for students in future generations. This is increasingly important as the cost of education tends to rise faster than inflation. The next generation will likely have a more difficult time paying the full cost of tuition.
The purpose of the Endowment Fund is to promote Calvin Christian School by providing a strong financial base for the school. The Endowment Fund accepts and manages gifts (in most cases, tax deductible) of property, securities, life insurance, bequests, memorials, cash and other forms of contributions for the benefit of Calvin Christian School. Gifts to the Endowment Fund are held in trust in separate accounts with only a portion of the earned income from the principal investment used to aid the school. The undistributed earnings are reinvested into the fund, allowing it to grow. In other words, it’s a gift that keeps on giving every year. The Endowment Fund takes a long-term view of the financial needs and security of the school.
1. The primary reason is to give thanks to our Lord by returning a portion of that with which He has blessed us. This is our responsibility as Christian stewards.
2. By giving to the Calvin Christian School Endowment Fund, you are building a strong Christian base for the future leaders of our churches, community, nation, and world.
3. Our state and federal tax laws encourage charitable giving while providing considerable financial advantages to you and also to your estate if made while you are alive.
4. Gifts are appropriate ways for a Christian life to continue its influence.
1. To provide need-based tuition assistance to all families who sincerely desire a Christian education for their children.
2. To help show the Christian community the wide variety of opportunities for stewardship other than cash gifts.
3. To encourage using opportunities where Christian stewardship can be applied to furthering God’s kingdom.
The Endowment Fund will receive gifts (in most cases tax deductible) in various forms, such as:
1. Memorials: you can make a gift to the Endowment Fund in memory of a loved one which will be perpetually utilized for the promotion of Christian Education at Calvin Christian School.
2. Cash: giving a cash gift, you can assure the Endowment Fund of immediate investment income, a portion of which will be used to provide ongoing income to Calvin Christian School.
3. Life Estate Contract: donating real estate (home or land), you retain full use of the property until death.
4. Will Bequest: when preparing or revising your will you can make provisions for the Endowment Fund in several ways with complete confidentiality.
5. Life Insurance: by naming the Calvin Christian Endowment Fund as a beneficiary, you can practice Christian stewardship with a substantial gift at death by means of small contributions during your lifetime.
6. Life Income Agreements: you can enter into a gift arrangement where you receive a life income and a current income tax deduction for a portion of the gift.
7. Child Named Charity: you can give an equal share to charity in your will or living trust to that received by each of your children.
8. Taxable Estate Given to Charity: all amounts which exceed the Estate Tax Exclusion amount go to charity rather than being taxed at a 41%-60% rate.
The Calvin Christian Endowment Fund currently has stock, bonds, and cash totaling over $1,250,000. This year the Endowment Fund has given Calvin Christian $40,000 toward the Legacy Fund and gives annually from the gain earned. The balance of the earnings are reinvested in the Endowment Fund for continued growth. Call the school office if you would like to know more about how to support the Endowment Fund and the future students at Calvin Christian.
Do you need help with your estate planning? Do you have updated will and living trust? This is crucial in California. As a member organization of the Barnabas Foundation, friends of Calvin Christian have access, at no cost, to the estate planning services offered by the Barnabas staff.
The mission of the Barnabas Foundation is to “assist Christian people in extending their lifelong pattern of good Christian stewardship into their wills and estate plans.”
Meeting with a Barnabas representative may be of special interest to you if your circumstances have changed in recent years due to widowhood, retirement, business ownership or an “empty nest” as your children reach adulthood.
To get in touch with a Barnabas representative, or to find out more how you can help Calvin Christian School secure its future, please contact Terry Kok in the Advancement office at 760-291-8909. To learn more about the Barnabas Foundation, visit their website.